The Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) is a public-private partnership established between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) to implement a Joint Technology Initiative on Bio-based Industries. It aims to bring together all relevant stakeholders to establish innovative bio-based industries as a competitive sector in Europe, ranging from primary production, large industry, SMEs, clusters, trade associations, academia, RTOs to end-users.
Three calls for proposals are open:
1. BBI-RIA: Bio-based Industries Research and Innovation action
Description: Actions primarily consisting of activities aiming to establish new knowledge and/or to explore the feasibility of a new or improved technology, product, process, service or solution to specific value chain technological barriers. The impact for the whole value chain must be clearly shown. For this purpose they may include basic and applied research, technology development and integration, testing and validation on a small-scale prototype in a laboratory or simulated environment (up to TRL 5)
Funding rate: up to 100%.
2. BBI-IA-DEMO: Bio-based Industries Innovation action - Demonstration
Description: A "demonstration" action aims to validate the technical and economic viability of a new or improved technology, product, process, service or solution in an operational environment. It shall include the establishment of a demo-scale production facility in Europe, being it a new installation, substantial modification of an existing facility, or use of existing demo facilities. Demonstration projects cover TRL 6-7.
Funding rate: up to 70%. Funding is expected to be complemented by additional activities, which are optional for demonstration actions
3. BBI-IA-FLAG: Bio-based Industries Innovation action - Flagship
Description:A "flagship" action aims to support the first application/deployment in the market of an innovation that has already been demonstrated but not yet applied/deployed in the market. Proposers for a flagship project shall provide clear evidence of previous experimental validation of the proposed process at demonstration scale. First means new at least to Europe or to the application sector in question. A flagship action shall address a complete value chain from procurement, growth, supply of feedstock material to the final product(s). It shall include the establishment of a large scale production facility in Europe, being it a new installation or a substantial modification of an existing facility, or reconversion of old or abandoned industrial facilities. Flagships actions cover up to TRL 8
Funding rate: up to 70%. Funding is expected to be complemented by additional activities, which are mandatory for flagship actions.
TRL explanation comments are available at:http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2014_2015/annexes/h2020-wp1415-annex-g-trl_en.pdf
For the submission of the proposals at least three legal entities are required. Each of the three shall be established in a different Member State or associated country. All three legal entities shall be independent of each other.
The following topics are open:
- BBI.VC1.R1: Efficient pre-treatment of lignocellulosic feedstock to advanced bio-based chemicals and biomaterials (BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC2.R2: New sustainable pulping technologies(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC2.R3: New products from sustainable cellulose pulp exploitation(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC3.R6: Fermentation processes to obtain biosurfactants and specialty carbohydrates from agricultural and agro-industrial streams(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC3.R7: Protein products from plant residues(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC3.R8: Bioactive compounds from meso-organism's bioconversion(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC4.R9: Valuable products from heterogeneous biowaste streams(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC4.R10: Nutrient recovery from biobased waste streams and residues(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC1.D1: Lignocellulosic residues to (di)carboxylic acids, diols and polyols (BBI-IA-DEMO)
- BBI.VC1.D2: Chemical building blocks and value-added materials through integrated processing of wood(BBI-IA-DEMO)
- BBI.VC2.D3: Advanced products from lignin and cellulose streams of the pulp and paper industry(BBI-IA-DEMO)
- BBI.VC3.D4: Functional additives from residues from the agro-food industry(BBI-IA-DEMO)
- BBI.VC4.D5: Cost efficient manure valorisation on large scale(BBI-IA-DEMO)
- BBI.VC3.F1: Added value products from underutilised agricultural resources (BBI-IA-FLAG)
- BBI.VC2.R4: Fibres and polymers from lignin(BBI-RIA)
- BBI.VC2.R5: Sugars from effluents of the pulping process and discharged fibres(BBI-RIA)
More Information available at: